Chocolate Old Fashioned Cake Donuts
Servings: 12 DoughnutsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour 510g
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder 50g
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsps Kosher salt
- 1.25 oz unsalted butter, at room tempereature 35g
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200g
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream 350g
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp warm water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Frying oil, such as grapeseed, canola or peanut.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a hand-held mixer, cream the butter and sugar until well mixed. Add in the eggs and cream until smooth.
- Turn the mixer off and spoon in 1/3 of the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Add in ½ of the sour cream, mixing until that is just combined. Follow with flour, the remainder of the sour cream and finish with the rest of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Pour the mixture onto a well-floured surface and allow it to rest, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Using a well-floured cutter, cut out circles about 3” to 3-1/2” and place on lightly floured baking sheet. Cut out center donut holes.
- Heat a wide pot, such as a Dutch oven, filled with about 1- ½” of frying oil to 370F. Carefully lower the donuts into the oil, cooking them for about 1 minute and a half on each side. Place the first batch on a cooling rack and bring the oil back up to 370F before frying a second batch.
- Dunk donuts into glaze and shake off excess before turning them over to allow the glaze to set.
- Whisk together the sugar, water and vanilla together to form a stiff paste, adding just a touch of water to thin it out ever so slightly. Your glaze will work best when warm!