Coconut Curry Chicken
Servings: 4Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass bruised and left whole or crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 4 slices fresh ginger skin removed, or 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1 Tbs. olive or coconut oil
- ½ red onion diced
- ½ pint green beans strings removed, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini cut into half moons
- ½ pint crimini mushrooms cleaned and quartered
- 1 lb. fingerling potatoes cut into ½” medallions
- 1 bunch scallions bulbs thinly sliced, green tops cut into one-inch pieces
- 2 Tbs. Thai red or massaman curry paste or 1 tsp. curry powder and 1 Tbs. tomato paste, if curry paste is unavailable
- ½ bunch cilantro stems and leaves thinly sliced
- 1 fresh Thai chili or 3-4 dried Thai chilies
- 1 tsp. salt plus more to taste
- 1 lime’s zest and juice
- Heat a pan with oil over medium-high heat. While it is heating, season the chicken with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken in the hot pan. When browned (chicken will not be cooked through), remove from pan. Lower the heat and add onions, cooking until onions are translucent and softened, adding a little water if needed to deglaze the pan.
- Add the lemongrass, lime zest, ginger, potatoes, scallion bulbs, zucchini, and mushrooms and cook until vegetables start to look vibrant and smell fragrant. Season with a large pinch of salt.
- Add your curry paste, stirring to coat veggies.
- Return chicken to pan, skin side up, followed by the coconut milk, green beans, and 1 tsp. salt and heat to a simmer. Cover and keep at a low simmer, cooking until internal temperature of chicken is 165°F, about 10-15 minutes more.
- Add cilantro, green part of scallions, and lime juice. Remove the lemongrass and ginger pieces and ladle into bowls to serve.