Homemade Double Chocolate Oreos
What’s better than a store-bought, packaged cookie from your childhood? One that’s made with love, from home, fresh from the oven. Smitten Kitchen inspired us with their recipe and we’ve taken these one step further by adding a little more salt and a bit more chocolate. Thanks to our sweet student Christina for staying after class and making these ever so perfectly for the photo shoot.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups Flour 155g
- 2/3 cup Cocoa powder 50g, scant 2/3 cup
- 1 tsp Baking soda 4g
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder 2g
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 cup Sugar 200g
- 1 Egg
- 1 stick Salted butter + 1 Tbsp, 140g
- 3 Tbsp Sugar for dusting
- 1 stick Butter 112g
- 1-3/4 cups Powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp Cocoa powder
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract 8g
- Pulse dry ingredients in the food processor to incorporate.
- Add the egg and butter at once and pulse just until the dough comes together.
- Scoop into tablespoon-sized balls (or use a handy dandy cookie scooper) and roll the balls in the extra sugar and place on a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet. These spread quite a bit, so space them accordingly.
- Bake at 350 for about 7-9 minutes. These cookies will cool and dry out rather quickly, so don’t be afraid of taking them out when they are still soft.
- Cream all ingredients until smooth in the bowl of a stand or hand held mixer.
- Place the buttercream in a heavy duty freezer bag or piping bag fitted with a round tip (the larger the better). Pipe a circle of buttercream on a flat end of one cookie and top with another. You can also spread the buttercream with a dull knife or offset spatula.