Homemade pretzels are quite a revelation. This quick recipe is versatile and gives you soft, chewy pretzels with the golden crust AND makes your house smell heavenly. Best part? The shaping is easier than you think, and the dough is easy enough to work with for cute heart shapes and spirals. Get creative!Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups Water 360g, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2-1/4 tsp Active dry yeast (1 envelope) 7g
- 4 cups All purpose flour 520g
- 1/2 cup Spelt flour* 65g
- 2 tsps Kosher salt
- 2 ounces Melted butter 56g
- 5 cups Water
- 1/3 cup Baking soda
- 1 Egg
- * (you can use all purpose for this one cup, but spelt gives these pretzels an awesome flavor)Place the water, sugar and yeast in a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let these sit for a few minutes.
- Add the flour, salt, and melted butter. Mix the dough, then knead until a smooth, tight ball forms (about 4 minutes). Place into a bowl lightly coated with butter or oil and let dough to rise, until doubled in size, for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and lightly brush or spray the paper with oil.
- Divide dough into 8 or 16 pieces, depending on how large you’d like your pretzels. Start with the fingers of both hands in the center of the dough, and roll, moving your hands outward as you roll. Roll the dough until you have about a 24-inch (8 large pretzels) or 12-inch piece of rope(16 small pretzels).
- Twist into pretzel shape (or wrap the dough around a hot dog or pre-cooked sausage)! Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot, add baking soda and wait for it to dissolve. Boil for 30 seconds and flip to boil on other side for 30 secs. DON’T OVER BOIL!! Remove carefully, using a flat, slotted spatula. Place on prepared baking sheet. Brush boiled pretzels with beaten egg, and add coarse sea salt or pretzel salt or your desired toppings.
- Bake until deeply golden brown, about 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for a few minutes before serving warm. Soft pretzels are best enjoyed the day they are made.