Waffle Iron Queso Fundido
Leave it to Chef John to come up with an appetizer that you can’t stop picking up. These are so delicious that they’ll help you wipe your tears when your team loses and shut you up just before you start gloating. Make these ahead of time and keep them warm.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 Tbsp All purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 lb Melting cheese sliced 1/2″ thick
- 2 Eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
For Salsa: (makes more than you need)
- 1 lb Tomatillos
- 4 oz Whole chili negro or guajillo
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 bunch Cilantro chopped
- Mix flour with paprika or cayenne on a large plate. Place the eggs in a second plate or bowl and bread crumbs in a third. Working one slice at a time, coat cheese in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.
- Spray both sides of waffle iron with nonstick spray, place as many cheese slices as will fit in waffle iron, and close lid. Cook until bread crumbs turn golden brown, about 1 minute. Repeat with any remaining cheese.
- Serve hot with Charred Chile Salsa for dipping (see next steps)
- To make the salsa, remove stems and papery skin from about 1 pound tomatillos. Place in a sauce pan and just cover with water. Bring to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes until softened.
- While the tomatillos are cooking, toast whole chiles by holding individual chiles over a flame for about 10 seconds until chile just begins to crackle and color. Tear chiles into large pieces.
- When tomatillos have softened remove from heat and toss in chiles. Stir to be sure that they are fully submerged in water. Cover and set aside until completely cooled.
- Pour the cooled tomatillos, chiles and cooking water into a blender or food processor and process until desired consistency. Stir chopped raw onions, lime and cilantro into the mixture and serve.