John’s Smoked Paprika Shrimp Appetizers
Here’s a little break from the shrimp cocktail norm for your game day spread. These sultry, smoky shellfish are easy to make and serve and are broth to you by our awesome Regional Cuisine champ Chef John Pitblado.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 lb Large shrimp in shell, without heads
- 7-10 cloves Garlic
- 6 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1-2 tsp Sea salt
- De-vein the shrimp by cutting down the back of shell with kitchen scissors or a paring knife, creating a channel about ¼” deep from head end to tail. If a vein is present, it will be a thin gray line running down the back of the shrimp. Use a paper towel to grasp and remove vein. Dry shrimp thoroughly.
- Give garlic a rough chop. In a large saute pan over medium heat, add garlic, olive oil and a heaping tablespoon of smoked paprika.
- Turn heat up to high. When garlic begins to lightly brown, reduce heat to medium then add shrimp in a single layer. When shrimp begins to look opaque at the sides, flip and sear other side…. this should take around 30 seconds to one minute per side, depending on your stove.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and transfer to serving dish. Garnish with lemon wedges and cilantro leaves.Your guests will remove shell before eating- serve with crusty bread to mop up garlic and oil with the shrimp for best results.