Chocolate Scones. The Breakfast of Real Champions.
I would like to champion chocolate for breakfast. These 100% whole grain scones are made possible by the best stone-ground whole grain flour you can buy (thanks to Nan from Grist and Toll).Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cup Whole wheat flour 240g
- 1/2 cup Sugar 100g
- 1/4 cup Cocoa powder 40g
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- 4 oz Cold butter 112g
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream 120g
- 1/3 cup Buttermilk 80g
- Some Good semi sweet or milk chocolate chopped up, using as much as you see fit.
- Preheat oven to 380F.
- Place the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl or the bowl of a food processor. Rub the cold butter into the flour until they are the size of your tiny pinky nail (or pulse a couple of times in the food processor).
- Whisk the egg, buttermilk and cream together. Pour the dry ingredients over the wet and stir, with the chocolate too, with a wooden spoon or spatula until just moistened.
- Turn the dough onto your counter and loosely shape into an 8″ circle. Cut into 8 triangles. Place on a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. If you need to, glaze with melted chocolate (we melt equal parts butter and chocolate together). MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm…..