Servings: 4Print Recipe Pin Recipe
MOROCCAN SEA BASS TAGINE WITH QUINOA
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 2 tsps olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsps. chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- ½ tsp ras el hanout*
- 1 tsp turmeric optional
- 1 tsp diced preserved lemon rind if using
- Two 8 oz fillets sea bass scaled, skin on or off, depending on your preference
- 1 fennel bulb cored and cut into 8-12 wedges
- 1 large potato red or yellow potatoes work well too, cut into ¼” slices
- 1 large carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 red pepper seeded and sliced into rounds
- ½ red onion cut into petals
- 1 cup water vegetable, or chicken stock
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
Ras el hanout is a spice blend found in many North African dishes. If you can’t find it, you can blend the following to make your own:
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground anise seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cayenne
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Marinate the fish by mixing together all ingredients. Coat the two fillets and and set aside while you prepare the vegetables.
- Slice the vegetables as directed, then layer in a Dutch oven or tagine with potatoes on the bottom, then the fennel followed by the carrot, onion petals, and red pepper rings.
- Put the fish on top of the vegetables, and scrape all of the remaining marinade on top of the fish (this is going to become your sauce)! Pour the water or stock into the pot, cover with the lid, and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, lower heat to maintain temperature, and cook 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender and fish is cooked through.
- While the fish and vegetables are cooking, rinse the quinoa until water runs clear and place it in an uncovered pot with the salt and water.. Cook on high until boiling, then cover pot, lowering heat to let it and simmer until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes, or until germs are uncurled.
- Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and cover until ready to serve with the fish and vegetables.