Chef John is the King of Picnics; invite him out to the beach or a short hike and bring nothing – he’s got everything from sandwiches make on his homemade breads to perfectly portioned salads. For those excursions that aren’t fork-permitted, he might even turn a salad into a sandwich…
Tuna Nicoise Sandwiches
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 tsps Kosher salt
- ¼ lb. think green beans
- 2 eggs
- 1 4-oz can oil-packed tuny, drained and divided into 4 portions
- 8 leaves butter lettuce
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 pieces pita bread
- ¼ cup niçoise (or Kalamata) olives
- 6 anchovies
- 2 Tbsps capers
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a bowl. Add about 2 Tbsps salt, the water should be as salty as seawater. Have a medium bowl of water with ice ready.
- Drop green beans in boiling water, return to simmer, remove after 3 minutes and drop in ice water.
- Gently lower eggs into water, return to gentle simmer, remove after 10 minutes and place in bowl of ice water.
- While beans and eggs are cooling, slice red onion very thin, about 1/8”, place in a bowl of cold water to remove pungency.
- Slice tomatoes about 1/4”. Place in sieve over bowl and sprinkle with kosher salt to pull excess liquid from tomatoes. Let drain about ½ hour. Blot dry on paper towels.
- To make the Tapenade, place olives, anchovies, capers, mustard and garlic in the bowl of food processor. Process until mixture break down into coarse paste.
- With processor running stream olive oil until mixture just begins to loosen to a spreadable paste.
- Open pitas along outside edge. Spread with tapenade.
- Starting on the bottom slice add layers of green beans, tuna, egg, tomato and a few lettuce leaves then top with remaining slice of focaccia. Wrap in parchment and tie with string.